Check your tax code…. Tax codes are usually made up of a series of numbers and a letter. The most common letter is L. This means that you are under 65 and eligible for the standard tax-free Personal Allowance – this is the amount you can earn before Income Tax kicks in. The basic Personal Allowance for 2018/19 is £11,850 and is applicable to low and middle earners with an annual income of less than £100,000. This exact allowance figure (divided by 10) will precede the letter in your code. So for the 2018/19 financial year, 1185L will be one of the most common codes. The K code: for untaxed income Another code that many people may have is the K code. This is essentially the reverse of an L code and is used when your level of untaxed additional income exceeds your Personal Allowance. This can happen if you are paying tax you owe from a previous year through your wages or pension, getting State benefits that you need to pay tax on or getting benefits from work. So, if the taxman decided that you were getting £6,000 of income from your company car, you will see a code of 850L on your new tax code (£11,850 – £6,000 = £5,850 or £850). However, if this additional income exceeds your Personal Allowance you’ll be given a K code. To continue from our example above – if the taxman decides that you’re receiving £15,000 of additional income from the company BMW, you’ll see 315K as your tax code. This means that you need to pay Income tax on all of your earnings plus the additional income from the company car that exceeds your Personal Allowance. The S code: for Scottish Income Tax This code is used to indicate if your income or pension is taxed using the rates in Scotland. Your tax code will be S1185L if you pay Scottish Income Tax and get the standard Personal Allowance. The T and 0T codes: for £100,000+ income If you’re a high-earner, the situation starts to get a little more complex. For every £2 you earn over £100,000, you’ll lose £1 of your Personal Allowance. At this point you should be put on a code, preceded by a figure showing the level of allowance you have left, providing any company benefits aren’t forcing you onto a code. When your income reaches £123,000, you’ll lose all of your allowance and your whole income will be subject to the appropriate rates of Income Tax. At this point, you’ll be put on a 0T code. M and N codes: for the Marriage Allowance You may be able to pass 10% of your Personal Allowance onto your spouse using the Marriage Allowance. If your annual income is £11,850 or less, and your partner is not a higher-rate taxpayer, you can pass on 10% of your Personal Allowance (£1,185 currently) to your other half. The M code means that you have received 10% of your partner’s allowance, while the N code means you have transferred 10% of your allowance to your partner. BR, D0 and D1 codes: for second jobs and pensions You’ll usually receive a tax code for each source of income you receive. If you have more than one income, you’ll be asked to state which is your main source, and this will have the appropriate level of Personal Allowance applied to it. All other income will all be taxed without any allowance. If you pay at basic rate, additional income sources will receive a BR code, higher rate payers will get a D0 code and those liable for the additional rate will get the D1 code. The NT code: when you pay no tax An NT code will come through if no tax is to be taken. This could be because your total income is less than your Personal Allowance, or you’re a self-employed contractor who is liable to pay National Insurance but not Income Tax. W1 and M1: emergency tax codes An emergency tax code is issued if HMRC does not have enough information about you to send your employer the correct code. This usually happens if you start your first job and get your first source of income part of the way into the financial year, or you haven’t got a P45 from a previous employer. The first part of the emergency tax code for 2018/19 is 1185L – the same as the basic Personal Allowance code. This normally ensures you receive the basic amount of monthly tax-free pay. But it doesn’t take into account any other relief or allowances. However, there will also be either W1 (for weekly pay) or M1 (for monthly pay). This signifies that you are being taxed as if it is the first week or month of the financial year. If you start work part of the way into the year, a W1 or M1 code could see you overpay in tax – as it is spreading your Personal Allowance over too many months. For example, if you start your first job five months into the financial year, you should receive a seventh of your Personal Allowance in each monthly wage packet. A W1 or M1 code will only give you a twelfth – meaning that you will be overpaying. However, when you hand over your P45 or P46 to your new employer, your tax code should change – and you should be reimbursed with any losses. If you get to the end of the financial year and still haven’t been reimbursed with the overpaid tax, you should get it back in a refund. If your tax code is wrong If you think your tax code is wrong you need to tell HMRC as soon as possible so it can be corrected. Alternatively, we can help you sort your tax code out. You’ll need to have your tax reference and/or National Insurance number to hand – these can be found on your payslips or any letters from HMRC.
22nd February 2019